Wednesday, November 28, 2001

For example...

1 Cor. 11:1
Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ

This is today's excerpt from my devotional. Though few in words, they seem so bold and mighty that I would not dare say them myself. I've never even heard a pastor say this. It almost makes the author, Paul, seem a little cocky. But, he could back it up with actions and that's why he's in the Bible and not me. I wonder what kind of an example I set for others. Would people even be able to tell that I was a Christian?

This has a new importance for me because I tutor impressionable kids. I guess that's redundant. Anyways, among the seven kids I tutor, three are Chinese girls that range in age from five to twelve. Well, today the twelve year old said to me, "I used to believe in God, but now I am angry with him...because he said that we don't come monkeys...but my book says we do, and the book is true." Now, when an adult says this, you can easily shoot down his view with a little science and reasoning. Unfortunately, I couldn't carry on a logical argument with a twelve year old. She cares more about the pieces of candy I award her with for doing good work. She could care less about my views on God unless He were to somehow do all her homework for her. So, I blabbed a little about the Gospel, and moved on to helping her with her math.

I am not sure how much I should talk to her about Jesus. I do need to be professional, and yet...I am called to be so much more. Either way, I need to be a good example for her. Good enough that she would be able to see Christ without having me say a word. Hopefully, I'll be able to help her see the truth...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home